Helping Young People Become Healthier, More Productive Adults
Basketball and other sports provide a safe environment where children can develop strong social skills. HOOPS 4 HOPE (H4H) is a global not-for-profit organization that has supported youth development throughout southern Africa since 1995 by:
- Providing more than 10,000 school-age boys and girls every year with our high quality organized Basketball and Soccer Programs and Skills 4 Life for free.
- Using sport as our vehicle, peer education, innovative curriculum, exchange, education and opportunity are catalysts for social and personal change.
- Partnering with more than 150 schools, children’s shelters, and community groups in Zimbabwe and South Africa to encourage more children to get off the streets and participate.
The benefits young people receive from H4H reach well beyond the playing field. H4H empowers children to become productive adults, engage in healthy lifestyles, manage life’s challenges, and become leaders within their communities and the world.
Sports are being played and loved by so many around the world; and for children, access to them should not be just a dream or a privilege. H4H uses organized sports, such as basketball and soccer, because they are not only exciting, but they also provide the platform to:
- Encourage healthy competition among peers
- Build self-esteem and social integration
- Help erase racial boundaries
- Unite adults and children from different backgrounds/cultures
- Help develop trust between coaches and young people
- Provide an opportunity for discussing crucial issues that affect young people’s lives every day
- Channel young people’s passions and provide educational opportunities
Basketball provides a platform for our trained coaches and volunteers to build trusting relationships with children and delivery life skills lessons in a fun environment. The life skills they learn on the court clearly impact their futures; in fact, many of the children become H4H and S4H mentors and coaches themselves.