Skills 4 Life
H4H Skills 4 Life Program Overview
Hoops 4 Hope’s (H4H) Skills 4 Life challenge young adults and children to make their own decisions and teach others to do the same. Our effective and innovate curriculum uses role plays, exercises, and circle discussion in a safe forum and includes 5 modules:
- The 7 Tools: Self Awareness, Sense of Humor, Integrity, Respect, Responsibility, Self Esteem, Focus, Ubuntu
- HIV / AIDS
- Substance Abuse
- Gender & Risk – Help change behavior before young people put themselves at risk
- Leadership and Conflict Resolution
How Do We Teach?
Primary-school-age children are coached by role models from their own communities in their own language. Our trained MVP coaches are trained to teach life skills through basketball. Our All Stars coaches are community coordinators who manage the MVP coaches and measure the success of the community programs.
The goals of our coaches are:
- Build young people’s skills in critical thinking and problem solving;
- Strengthen positive norms and behaviors;
- Engage in interactive and challenging examination of beliefs: biases that stand in the way of healthy attitudes and actions;
- Help change risky behavior before young people put themselves at risk; and
- Create more safe and healthy environments to be a more memorable, valuable and fun part of children’s lives.
Our coaches teach through games, role-playing activities, and discussions — not lectures. It’s crucial that we don’t tell our adolescents how to ask, but help them have the skills to make their own decisions, plan for their futures, and be accountable for their actions.